The story of Tulip

TulipFoodCompanySide4.jpg

Mid-1800s

Cheap imports of grain from North America cause Danish farmers to change from cereals to pork and dairy production.

1887

The first Danish co-operative meat company is established in Horsens, now known as Danish Crown. One year earlier, a private slaughterhouse called Tulip was founded in Vejle.

TulipFoodCompanySide5.jpg

1909

Tulip registers the famous three tulips as a trademark in Denmark – the first trademark in Danish business history.

Mid-1900s

Via several mergers and acquisitions, the Danish meat industry grows rapidly with Tulip as a central player.

1990

Tulip International A/S is formed to handle the meat processing activities of Tulip.

Products from Tulip Food Company

1998

Danish Crown acquires full ownership of Tulip International.

1999

The European Union approves the merger of Vestjyske Slagterier and Danish Crown. As part of the merger, Tulip International takes over the processing activities of Vestjyske Slagterier and Danish Crown. 

2001

Tulip International is merged with Danish Prime and continues as Tulip Food Company.

Tulip Food Company Headquarters Randers Denmark

2003

Tulip Food Company moves into the new headquarters in Randers.

2018

Tulip Food Company acquires two major companies, DK-Foods and Baconspecialist Zandbergen, and subsequently becomes the biggest European supplier of both pepperoni and bacon.

Present

Today, Tulip Food Company handles both processed and fresh meat and is present all over the world.