Tulip Food Company dates back to 1887, when a private slaughterhouse was founded in Vejle. That development was part of the move towards industrial food production in Denmark.
Tulip’s famous symbol of three tulips is registered as a trademark in Denmark – the first Danish trademark ever. The symbol has been used as an export brand to England since 1912.
In October Tulip International A/S is formed when Normeat, Danepak, Jaka merge with the processing activities of Tulip Slagterierne. The same year Danish Prime is formed after Meatcut and Faaborg Middagsretter merge.
Danish Prime acquires the soup factory MOU. The combination of the trademarks of Danish Prime and MOU provides the foundation for a new and even stronger product concept, which is launched under a new and modern MOU brand.
Danish Crown acquires full ownership of Tulip International.
The European Union approves the merger of Vestjyske Slagterier and Danish Crown. As part of the merger, Tulip International takes over the processing activities of Vestjyske Slagterier and Danish Crown. The same year Danish Prime acquires Iwans Dybfrost, which specialises in toasted and frozen sandwiches.
Tulip International and Danish Prime merge on October 1. The new company is called Tulip Food Company.
Danish Crown and Steff-Houlberg merge and Tulip takes over the processing activities of Steff-Houlberg.
Tulip Food Company acquires the Svenstrup-based sausage and salami producer Pølsefabrikken GØL.
Tulip Food Company takes over German company Oldenburger Fleishwarenfabrik on March 1.
As part of Danish Crown’s acquisition of the Swedish company Ugglarps, Tulip takes control of the Ekvalls Charcuteri factory the southern Swedish city of Malmö.
After a number of years of growth in the German market, Tulip acquires the family-owned Nietfeld Feinkost from Dinklage, Germany. Tulip takes control of the company, which specialises in poultry products. The deal causes a significant growth of Tulip’s market share in Germany.